This recipe does not require premade or store bought broth as you are the master of flavour now!
If you are looking for one soup recipe for all the legumes you cherish, here it is. This vegetarian bean soup can be substituted with any legume of choice and the procedure and ingredients will remain always the same. Spice up your soup game in a simple and heart warming way and keep this recipe as your go to secret weapon for all the winters to come.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 Hour
- Yield: Serves 4-6
Winters and soups the match made in winter heaven, we all know that. After many darn cold winters in NYC I was always looking for something that could really warm my heart all the way to my always so cold feet. This soup reminds me of home and the short winters on the island of Capri. So, this soup became the Sunday winter staple for me and my roommates in NYC. It was a whole ritual no plans could be made. It was soup and Game of Thrones on repeat or emotional movies for a collective release. This recipe is the attempt of years of finding the right balance and ingredients to make a simple soup, very affordable, and a weekly desirable moment. I have also included dairy in this soup under the form of parmesan crust. This recipe will be just as good without it. Now lets start souping:
The ingredients you need to make the best vegetarian bean soup you will ever need are:
- Olive Oil
- 1 clove of Garlic
- Half a large Onion or a whole small Onion
- 4 Carrots
- 2 Celery stems
- 1 large potato or a few small ones
- 500g of dried Beans ( I actually used mixed legumes) canned beans are also ok just rinse them very well. Dried beans or chickpeas need to be soaked in water for several hours or need longer cooking time. Lentils on the other hand do not need soaking.
- Parmesan crust (never throw away the crust it is so versatile in giving that umami flavour for lots of recipes) in order to clean the crust grate the engraved part well.
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 small Chili Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
How to make and store the best vegetarian bean soup you will ever need:
1. I work best when all my ingredients are ready to go. I also imagine Gordon Ramsey screaming at me to be prepared, I watch too many cooking shows. So start chopping and peeling the necessary into small cubes. The potatoes also need to be small not tiny but pretty small as they add thickness to the broth and so does the parmesan crust.
2. Now that Gordon Ramsey has given us the go we can start the step by step process of who gets to be cooked first. Heat a large pot on low heat with oil, garlic, and the chili pepper. After a few minutes you can either remove the garlic ( I keep it in the soup because it dissolves and gives flavour). Now let’s add the onions, carrots, and celery. Cover the pot always on low heat let the veggies sweat for about 10 minutes ( keep an eye out and stir from time to time). Now we can add the potatoes and legumes of choice give a stir so all the ingredients can make acquaintance and add enough water to cover the ingredients over two fingers. Remember to never add too much water to a soup because you cannot remove the excess water as you will also remove the hard working flavours you have just created. It is always better to have to add water than take flavour. Trust me I learned the very hard way.
3. Once the water reaches a boil you can go ahead and add salt, pepper, bay leaves and the magical Parmesan crust. Cover and let it cook for about 40 min always giving a check here in there. Tasting is the magic rule for everything be the judge of your creation. I think that soups need to rest in order for all the ingredients to settle in their new habitat. Be patient and let the soup sit for about 10 to even 15 minutes if you can. Below is the result of a few best vegetarian bean soup recipe you will ever need.
I truly hope you enjoy this recipe and the fact that not every soup needs added chicken broth or store bought veggie broth. The flavours are already in the ingredients of choice giving you that extra boost of health homemade. I hope you enjoy your endless winter nights with a bowl of soup and your very favourite TV show. This soup can be stored in the fridge, once at room temperature for up to 3 days. Please feel free to comment and make and suggestions at all.
Well time to eat now so Buon Appetito!